Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Top Ten Study Habits/Exciting Things About School Starting

Back to school back to school. I had to make this one post because I'm operating on about 44% brain capacity right now, but we'll go with what we've got! And don't worry, I realize the irony of someone who has that little brain capacity to be giving study advice. We deal.

1) After this one these things aren't ranked, because I haven't put that much effort into it. But this is the absolute #1 most exciting thing about going to school. People watching: Everyone has some weird style that they're all rockin and lots of fun conversations to eavesdrop on and things to notice. For example, today I saw a kid who had playboy shoes. Playboy shoes. I didn't see the bunny, so I'm not sure that they were real playboy, but that got me thinking, who else would make shoes that said playboy? Haha I have to say though, see the playboy sneakers on this kid was the highlight of my day.

2) Tied for the number one (ya I lied, get over it) is buying new school supplies!! This is my absolute favorite thing to do and I do it every semester. I usually don't need anything, but the thrill of finding new colors of pens and new, clean notebooks is like a drug. Exaggeration? No. Plus every time I go I get awesome deals like notebooks for 20 cents each. Ya I got like ten. And each semester they seem to come out with more sharpies, which is my weakness. Needless to say I have an awesome collection of pens and markers.

3) Study tip: Use those fancy new pens you got to organize. I have a different colored pen for each one of my classes that I use to write down assignments and dates in my planner. That way I know which class I need to focus on for each day. Then I have a totally different color for tests. That way I know the big things that are coming up. It may sound like it takes a long time and really isn't worth it. But it totally is. It also helps you prioritize. If you have two things due on one day you can see which classes they're for and decide which is most important/hardest/etc. and act accordingly!

4) Study tip: If you have to memorize something I totally recommend making notecards. It's somewhat tedious but completely worth it. Here's the real tip though, when you're going through and memorizing things, make sure you change the order each time you go through them. That way you are actually memorizing the things on the cards, not just the order you have them in. Pneumonic devices also help so much. For example when I was memorizing amino acids, the structure of leucine looks like a stick figure so in my head it became Lucy Leucine.

5) Study tip: Take notes. Most teachers now teach almost directly off of power point, and then post them online, but that shouldn't make you think you can just listen in class. Note taking helps so many things stick better in your mind. I personally hate to print the power points off so I just take notes off of what I see and hear; that works for me. But even printing the power points off is good, just take notes on them. But make sure you actually take notes on them. Write down your own interpretation of things, that way it's in your own words and you'll remember it and when you go back and read it you'll understand.

6) Study tip: MUSIC. You hear all the time that listening to the Messiah while studying helps you retain more information and if you play it for your baby they'll be smarter. Well I don't know if that's true. BUT I do know that listening to classical music while you study really helps you concentrate better. It's still something background, but it has no words so you don't get caught trying to hear what the guy is talking about or if that was really what you just heard, it's just soothing. My personal favorite is piano music but truly I've listened to all kinds of classical and instrumental so it's all good.

7) Excitement: School presents all kinds of opportunities for fun! Like football games, fall tv shows, movies, lunches with friends, and all the other little things that you escape to, to get away from school work.

8) Study tip/Excitement: I know Cor already mentioned this but the reward system is truly awesome. I usually go the route of food. Like I finished my homework staying up super late, well after I turn it in I am totally treating myself to olive garden. But big goals are awesome as well, after you finish a hard class or a killer final, take yourself out. It doesn't have to be big, just set the goal and give yourself something to look forward to that really makes you happy. I used to have a friend that would have skittles for me and once I finished an assignment I could go find him and he would give me the skittles. Getting other people to help you also really helps, and gives you another way to decompress through friend-time!

9) Study tip: Have one class or one activity that you do every week that is completely for fun. In my undergrad this was history classes or psychology classes. I would try and take one each semester and it just allowed me to think of something other than engineering. Plus it gives you an opportunity to diversify yourself. Learning new things shouldn't be all work and no fun, it should also make you happy to discover things you didn't know before.

10) Take pride in what you do. If you do well, be happy that you did well! Live up to your potential and love that you're doing something well! Also don't ever be afraid to ask questions, professors love to demonstrate how smart they are and you asking them how to do something presents the perfect opportunity.

And now for a couple of things that are not cool about school

*) Boys not taking showers. You learned when you were a kid how to take care of yourself and you learned in puberty why it was important. No one likes that and no matter how cute you are, if you stink, you'll never have any friends.

*) People smoking around doors. I don't care if you smoke, but try not to involve everyone else in your extracurriculars.

No comments:

Post a Comment