Friday, September 25, 2009

Top 10 Ways to Have Not Fought With Your Friend for Five Years & the Path To Best Friend

Me and H have known each other since HS, yeah don’t even ask what we were like because we are not those people anymore. But in all that time we have never fought- not once or a little at all. So here is some reasons we seem to make it work even when we are on separate sides of the USA. I told another friend one time that me and H had never fought and she straight out did not believe me. She said we must have not had enough hard situations or some BullS like that. Well me an H have spent 13 hours straight in a car together, gone on 2 trips together, worked at the same job together for a week, and have talked about stuff other people get grouchy about.
Both of us also came up with this list, that's how well we work together.


1. Compromise: So you saw the new boy gadget on the side, some people trade baseball cards, me and Heidi trade boys. You will not believe the discussions we have about who gets who. But on the serious side when me and H go on trips in the AM or if we are really proactive the night before we would sit down and basically say what both of us wanted to do that day and work out the day. And then during the day if something would show up we would discuss if we wanted to do that. These were small talks over in 5 mins tops but we both had our say.

2. Chillness: I don’t know how many times I have said to Heidi well I wish it could just be chill like us. Pretty much we roll with the punches always have. If I have to cancel, make it later, pick up 12 things on the way to whatever H does not care and me the same for her.

3. Talk It Out: We talk multiple times a day it is really quite ridiculous about anything and everything. From One Tree Hill last night, to our siblings, to school, to faith, and on and on. All this talking makes us good at it. So I have no problem telling H I am ordering the pasta she is getting the salad and we are splitting.


4. Share All Obsessions: reading a good book, found some great makeup, found a boy you love or one you don’t, family happiness & strife, church stuff, everything we swap and share. We have days where I am the one complaining there are days H complains, but it is nice to have that outlet and then no one else hears about it. I keep a stack of stuff for H books, music, we send each other mix CDs pretty much anything we are digging at the moment we swap. Which is another reason there is always something to talk about.

5. Acknowledge You Are a Glass House: Here is what I say when I am about to be mean so I am a glass house on this but I don’t like that. It just lets the other person know that yeah you get it you are not perfect but you are also not ok with whatever.

6. Similar Interests/Mutual Respect: Cor and I have many of the same interests, but we also have a lot of different interests. And while we love to talk about all the interests we share, we also like to share the interests we don't have in common. We might not adopt each other's different interests but we try them out and give each other the benefit of the doubt. So I sometimes ramble on and on to Cor about my fantasy football team, and she sometimes let's me know I'm almost unsaveable because I don't love Coldplay.

7. Trust: As mentioned in numero tres Cor and I talk a lot. And we talk about everything. I know that whatever I tell Cor she will give me honest feedback and she will keep it between us. And she knows she can get the same thing out of me. I know that if I'm unsure about an outfit choice, she's got my back. And if she's having a problem with school she can totally vent to me. She's always there to listen to me and I'll always be there for her.

8. Teasing: You might think this is a funny thing to put on the list, but it's fairly essential. Cor is not afraid to tell me that I am a tad psychotic in my obsession with Zachary Quinto. In fact I think our conversation went like this:
Me - Zachary Quinto!
Cor - Crazy!
And it made me laugh out loud. If we couldn't tease each other and laugh at ourselves then we wouldn't have nearly as much fun with each other. And we might run the risk of taking ourselves too seriously. We all have the buttons that threaten to pull us under, but teasing helps you laugh through them. And I'll always be there to tell Cory she's going a little crazy.

9. Strengths: Everyone has their own strengths. It's one of the beautiful thing about people. The hard part is realizing what your strengths are and respecting them in others. Cory has so many strengths I can't even count them and I love that about her because her strengths help my weaknesses. And I'm hoping that I can do the same for her. When I'm having a weak day she's there to help me be strong and I'm there for her.

10. Betterment: Cor and I are working hard at having awesome lives. And we're doing pretty well at it. But the best thing is that we're always there to try and help each other out as much as we can. We're just here to help make the other's life a little bit easier and a little bit more fun. So here's hoping that a little bit of my perfectness rubs off on Cor!


This post is an ode to all good friends and how much they mean to us and how much they make our lives better. The times you laughed so hard you were crying (even about the stupid things, you know who you are White House Man). The rough times you were there for each other. And the day to day moments that help you know you're important and your friends really ARE the best ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment