Friday, January 8, 2010

Top 10 Bags Every Girl Needs

1. Overnight Bag- You know for those weekend always even if it is just with your fam. Mine is a vintage looking Adidas leather bag white w/bright blue accents. Folds up and sits on my shelf perfectly. Fits everything you need for 3-4 days, or great as a secondary bag for a long trip to hold shoes, DVDs, books etc. It needs to be cute and sturdy, able to take a few knocks, and easy to carry. Most importantly when you put it on your bed to pack you need to be excited to do so. I got mine off of EBay for a steal, so check random places.
2. Exec Tote- This is what I call the grown-up bag. The one you take on job interviews. It can fit a few folders, laptop and the necessities. A solid shape (no slouchiness) and any color will work whether you want basic black or a pop (but not too much stick to earth tones). Mine is a rounded square shape leather tote in a brick red color with pegs on the bottom from Fossil.
3. Utility Tote- This bag is mainly for necessity, but that is no reason not to be cute. The bag you throw that entire overflow into for a road trip, stuff you need to take over to a friend’s house, stuff that you need but do not normally have with you. Those free totes you get with makeup gifts work pretty well for this; also some grocers offer really cute reusable bags. I like one with subtle pattern makes it easier to find in a car and some sturdiness too it since it will be pulled around.

4. Hobo- Slouchy, roomy and gives off a boho vibe. To keep it from looking to sloppy pick one with nice leather and good stitching to keep its shape. The handle should be thick , one handle with some kind of detail on it. I like mine in a color that pops but not too much. It’s Kelly Green with stitching in the corners, big brass rings to attach the handle with whip stitching to the bag. Another eBay find made by Lucky who has done the perfect hobo for years.
5. Go To Clutch- You only really need one. For me a metallic or black works best they go with everything. To make it interesting go for a crocodile, python imprint or one with a cute closure. Needs to only fit a phone, ID, Emergency Cash, gum & Chap Stick (or gloss). Mine is a dark grey satin with silver metal frame and an all sides snap closure. But my favorite thing about the hot pink lining.

6. A Bag W/A Great Pattern- I tend to lean towards large tropical prints. This bag is mainly for summer to add pop to your basic cotton outfit. Go with the shape you usually like just in a pattern. Mine has 2 large wood rings as the handles attached to a black canvas with blue, tan turquoise and white flowers on it.
7. Pulled Together Bag- This bag is the bag you can wear with anything and it dresses it up. You throw it on with your holey jeans, flips and a V and suddenly you feel you are dressed. And it can also go with that skirt and boots combo you rock to work. Go with the size and shape you like with an interesting trait. Whether it be an unexpected color, large hardware, lots of pockets, patent, zippers galore, appliqués or any combo of these. It does not have to cost a million bucks just make you feel that way. I have a few my powder blue patent bag with heavy hardware, basic black bag which get a preppy scarf, to the Target Bag in the pic. There are also some fun choices at Urban Outfitters right now.

8. Dr. Satchel- Short handles, rounded on top, square at the bottom- various sizes, colors, materials go with what tickles your fancy. This bag sits in your elbow when moving. Mine is aged brown leather with lots of handy pockets in the corners and compartments inside. The shape is stylish and classic but the bag a little impractical since it cannot be thrown over the shoulder. But a nice change on occasion.
9. Bowling Bag- Like the Dr. Satchel but more oval than round and longer handles. These bags I like in a more sporty shape and details. Think Puma & Adidas. It is a casual every day bag with sporty flair.
10. Messenger Bag- Crossover body, fabric or leather, sturdy and great to travel with or on days where you will be walking around a lot. These bags make it easier to get in and out of it while still hung on your shoulder. Mine is from The Gap in forest green fabric with a cute paisley interior. It took me a long while to find since I am 6 feet tall to find one that hit me right. And it has 2 outside pockets perfect for chap stick, gum and my phone- easy access. Sadly I could not find a pic of what I wanted since I like a messenger without the flap.


And Here Are 2 I Do Not Like Which for a Girl Who Has A Lot of Purses is Hard to Say:
1. Any bag crammed full- I will admit I go for a fuller bag I need the room I usually have a book, water and a planner with me at all times. I know but who has a snack when you need it not the chick with the tiny little bag the size of the novel I have in mine. Who has to take half her stuff out of it, to get to what she needs.
2. Utility Only- Even if it is your gym bag why not get something you like to look at. What harm will it do.

No comments:

Post a Comment